$31m to strengthen UQ health research – UQ News
Analysis into world well being points together with antibiotic resistance, inflammatory ailments and stroke has been boosted after The College of Queensland obtained greater than $29.7 million in funding from the Nationwide Well being and Medical Analysis Council (NHMRC) and $1.5 million from the Medical Analysis Future Fund.
The Federal Minister for Well being Greg Hunt MP right this moment visited UQ’s Institute for Molecular Bioscience (IMB) to announce greater than $440 million in NHMRC funding for Australian well being researchers.
UQ Vice-Chancellor and President Professor Peter Høj stated 26 UQ initiatives had been profitable in securing the aggressive analysis funding.
“Our researchers are working extremely exhausting to sort out a few of the hardest well being issues affecting hundreds of thousands of individuals around the globe,” Professor Høj stated.
“This funding will help their analysis concentrating on varied medical points similar to reproductive ailments, stroke, Alzheimer’s illness, osteoporosis and cancers.
“I’m notably excited to see the unfold of researchers who had been profitable, together with Professor Naomi Wray and Professor Jennifer Stow – who’re internationally recognised feminine scientists and leaders of their fields – every awarded greater than $2 million in funding.
“Equally, Professor Jürgen Götz additionally obtained greater than $2 million to proceed his basic analysis to enhance his pioneering work within the improvement of an efficient remedy for Alzheimer’s illness.
“The extraordinarily excessive customary of analysis being performed right here at UQ is obvious by the continued funding by the NHMRC in our scientists and their very important work.”
Minister Hunt toured a lab with two UQ researchers – Professor Naomi Wray and Dr Geoffrey Spurling – who each obtained NHMRC funding for his or her initiatives on this spherical.
IMB’s Professor Wray will develop and apply new genomics strategies to find the causes of frequent ailments, in the end resulting in enhancements in prevention, analysis, remedy and prognosis.
“This analysis has the potential to disclose important triggers of frequent ailments, notably problems of the mind, and to make danger prediction of frequent ailments out there to all Australians,” Professor Wray stated.
Dr Geoffrey Spurling from UQ’s Faculty of Medical Drugs will lead a staff working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to implement a well being verify for younger individuals to handle social and emotional well-being.
“This analysis will assist younger Aboriginal individuals to reside more healthy lives by way of higher detection and administration of social and emotional well-being issues,” Dr Spurling stated.
On this funding announcement, UQ obtained seven grants of greater than $2 million every:
- Professor Geoffrey Faulkner (College of Drugs) $2,811,818
- Professor Jurgen Gotz (QBI) $2,448,640
- Professor Naomi Wray (IMB) $2,401,595
- Professor Grant Montgomery (IMB) $2,198,640
- Professor Stephen Williams (QBI) $2,078,030
- Professor Jennifer Stow (IMB) $2,048,640
- Professor Ian Frazer (Drugs) $2,000,000.
UQ obtained 5 grants of greater than $1 million every:
- Professor David Paterson (Drugs) $1,624,320
- Dr Adam Ewing, (Drugs) $1,554,485
- Professor David Johnson (Drugs) $1,305,276
- Professor Mark Walker (Science) $1,067,778
- Professor Roy Corridor (Science) $1,017,285.
On this spherical of funding, UQ obtained 14 grants of as much as $1 million every:
- Professor Glenn King (IMB), $658,135
- Dr Abu Ali Ibn Sina (AIBN – Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology) $639,750
- Dr Alain Wuethrich (AIBN) $639,750
- Dr Run Zhang (AIBN) $639,750
- Dr Chung Kai Chan (College of Well being and Behavioural Sciences) $639,750
- Dr Sarah Wallace (College of Well being and Behavioural Sciences) $639,750
- Dr Jian Zeng (IMB) $639,750
- Dr Sandra Richardson (Drugs) $639,750
- Dr Jean Giacomotto (QBI) $614,750
- Dr Laura Fenlon (QBI) $552,830
- Dr John Kemp (Drugs) $549,123
- Affiliate Professor Mark Smythe (IMB) and analysis staff, $541,955
- Dr Henry Marshall (Drugs) $444,875
- Dr Geoffrey Spurling (Drugs) $366,925.
Media: UQ Communications, 07 3365 1120, firstname.lastname@example.org.